WEBINAR | Know Your Valuation for Equity Compensation (And Avoid the Perils of 409A)
If you are a CEO or a CFO of a high growth startup, it is vital to understand how to value your company correctly. An IRS Section 409A valuation is an independent appraisal of the fair market value (FMV) of a private company’s common stock that determines the “strike price” for equity. If your company is planning to offer options, you’ll need a 409A valuation. Here is a quick list of questions this workshop will help you answer:
- Do you offer or are you planning to offer your employees stock options?
- Do you know the difference between ISOs and non-ISOs?
- Do you understand the general valuation concepts and approaches that the IRS has outlined, especially as they apply to early-stage companies?
- Did you know that if you run afoul of the 409A rules, your employees could have an unpleasant tax surprise and that some of that responsibility could revert back to you as the employer?
- Do you know if and when you need to engage an outside expert to assist with a valuation?
If you need answers to any of these questions, join us for our workshop where a comprehensive document will also be provided to guide you through this process.
Wolf & Company
Scott Goodwin serves as an engagement leader in our Commercial Audit group where he is responsible for providing audit and advisory services to rapidly growing, entrepreneurial technology companies and consulting on complex accounting matters. Scott provides audit and advisory services to entrepreneurs, executives and boards of directors. He leads Wolf’s Technology Services Team and also serves as an engagement Partner. including revenue recognition, equity instruments, business combinations, internal control best practices and corporate governance. Scott also has significant expertise with employee benefit plan audits, ERISA and the Department of Labor regulations related to such plans. Scott joined Wolf in 2002 and has over twenty five years of experience as a Certified Public Accountant. His technology sector expertise includes software, life sciences, biotech, medical devices, cleantech, fintech and mobile. Scott writes and speaks frequently on key business issues in the entrepreneurial community and serves on Wolf’s Accounting & Auditing Committee.
Lynn Haddad Sommer
Lynn is the Managing Director at Cabrillo Advisors. Cabrillo provides Business Valuations, Accounting and Strategic Consulting services to middle market companies, emerging growth businesses and high net worth individuals. Valuation services include IRC 409a and ASC 718, ASC 820 Fair Value, ASC 350 Goodwill Impairment Testing, ASC 805 Business Combinations, Advisory and Fairness and Solvency Opinions.
Lynn also sits on the board of ACG, an organization helping middle market M&A professionals build and maintain trusted networks in the Boston community since 1979. They help support and facilitate relationship building and provide deal related content to the middle market M&A community.
- By attending this event, you agree to be photographed and/or filmed and give permission to use your likeness in promotional, educational and/or marketing materials.
- TCN events are open to entrepreneurs and investors only, or approved guests of TCN. Service providers of any type must join TCN as a Sponsor. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.